I’ve long since given up arguing with a-holes.
I was talking a week or so back about the impact of words. I always take their measure seriously and as I had stated earlier continually fret about them. Well, specifically I fret about what comes out of my mouth because I know how harmful words can be.
I lived in a predatory environment for the bulk of my life and because of that, there are certain things that trigger within me under certain circumstances. I can go from 0 to 60 very quickly, think along the lines of elephant gun versus fly swatter and there are instances where a deft touch is the better application. In those moments, I struggle not to use the elephant gun because using a big gun is my first impulse.
Strike hard, strike fast, strike without mercy and win.
Anyway, another of the things fascinating to me is how we can have very clear double standards about who it is okay to insult and who it isn’t. I’ve railed about this in the past at length. If we are going to use the yardstick of Political Correctedness in our speech and our interactions, then it logically should be applied evenly across the board to everyone and not just to certain groups.
Thing is, it’s not.
It has been very apparent to me for some time now there is a strong undercurrent of hypocrisy in the whole discussion of Correctspeak. However, I’ve long since realized there is no way possible you can argue with a moron. These are people who hold up their conviction as a shield to logic. The image that comes to mind is of the person sticking their fingers in their ears loudly chanting, “La, la, la, la...”
The double irony of this can often be it’s people who are ‘liberal’ who act this way.
They’re just right and others are just too stupid to see or understand it. There‘s no room for discussion so why bother even trying to have a conversation?
The other day, I saw something I found so incredibly offensive it stirred within me a desire just to put my foot through the computer monitor. It was posted by someone who in the past has gone on at great length about the slights towards various groups they themselves support. Again, this is a person of supposedly ‘enlightened’ views so it was quite amazing to see how readily they embraced something so offensive and so totally directed at a specific group.
You go watch it for yourself, I won’t embed the thing here. I leave it up to the person to seek it out and make their own determination.
I came away afterward though realizing a few things (mainly about the person who posted it):
Christianity does not qualify for the same respect as other religions (whether it is Judaism, Islam or a host of others because as far as I know most religions do involve prayer).
It’s okay to make perjorative statements if you are liberal because you are ‘enlightened.’
Some people are so amazingly stupid, they’ll never get it.
You want me to take you seriously? Show the same respect and courtesy for the things others hold dear as you want the things you hold dear to be shown. This is coming from someone who isn’t a bible-thumper either, I’m not even a church goer or anything but talk about just plain foul. The only thing I could think of was the old line, ‘If I wanted to hear from an a-hole, I would have farted.’ In the moment I saw the thing and read what the person posting it wrote, I pretty much lost all respect for the person in question and it’s not even worth it to say anything to them about it because you can’t argue with stupid people.
1 comment:
I love your writing. You sound pretty even handed, not favoring any one side. keep writing i'll be back ...with comments.
Regards
p.
Post a Comment